Saturday, November 30, 2013

November Photo-a-day

It's the end of another month, our last full month in Bhutan. Time has sped by and I'm filled with mixed feelings about leaving soon. Having farewelled my class two weeks ago I feel ready to move on from school, although I'm still meant to turn up there for another few weeks.

Meanwhile the opportunity to travel across Bhutan in the past week really consolidates the love I have for this country. It feels so familiar and we have friends and favourite places from Thimphu to Bumthang.

December is shaping up to be a month of doing what I love doing most: travelling! We'll be joining my friend Jana on the 6th to begin a trip to the east, and then finally leave Bhutan on December 22nd after more farewells in the capital. From then on we'll swap our thermals and down coats for shorts, t-shirts and swimmers and dive into tropical South East Asia on our way home. I feel like I've lost my mojo a bit lately with my photos-a-day: it will be wonderful to have new and different vistas everyday to inspire me. Bring on December!



1: Fruit
A treat to have a bowl of fruit salad as winter approaches.

2: I did this today
We went to a baby-shower party with the whole village. I forgot to take a photo until the last moments when the men all got up for a traditional dance to finish the night.


3: P is for
Pretty pot plants

 4: Table
I was invited to a student's house to try 'shelroti' as part of celebrations for Diwali.


5: I collect
 I have enjoyed collecting kiras this year.


6: Music
The students make music with a simple gong for the prayers every morning at school.

 
 
7: Yes!
Remy having fun on the swings Bob built.

 8: Someone I miss
Lots of people to miss when we are so far from home, but Michelle doesn't live in Australia so who knows when we'll meet up again. I miss the good times and conversations we have when we're together.


9: Mine
These little boys fill my life with so much happiness and for now at least, they're all mine.

10: Book
Hopefully reading this book and medicine will help a friend who is sick.

 11: Memory
I bought a painting of the black-necked cranes as a memory of the festival we attended today.

 12: Clouds
Not a cloud in the sky today, but I saw this painting on the wall of a shop today in Trongsa
13: Part of me
These kids will always be a part of me, in my heart and memories.

 14: Eating
Yeshi came to help me make snacks for the goodbye party tomorrow. We had to have a taste of the hedgehog to check it was delicious!

15: In my purse/pocket
Well in my 'santa sack' I carried presents, games and prizes to put under the Christmas tree at school.

16: Play
Kids at the Gaytsa school picnic playing 'elastics' with some rope.


17: 5 O'Clock
Just after 5 and the sun is nearly set, the moon and first star are visible.
 

18: Mirror
The windows of the shop downstairs act as a mirror, reflecting trees in the background.

 19: Where I ate breakfast
Just at the dining table, looking out on the frosty cold morning outside.

20: Communication
I spent much of today communicating by my trusty phone: calling, facebooking and emailing.

21: I wish I had this
 A private jet! Why not???!!!


22: Behind
The last rays of sun catch the standing Buddha by the riverside.
 

 23: Simplicity
Fresh greens at Centenary Market in Thimphu

24: A word
The sacred words 'Om Mani Padme Hum' at Dochu La

25: Quirky
It was a bit quirky and unusual to see bottlebrush trees growing all over the grounds of Yangkhil Resort in Trongsa today.

26: Message
We used these walkie-talkies to send important and funny messages between the three cars we're travelling in.

27: No!
No we won't be staying in our house tonight after it was emptied completely for the tv show (unfortunately I didn't take a good photo of the house completely empty).

 28: I am grateful for...
the amazing opportunity to travel across Bhutan to make a tv show and meet these wonderful people.

29: Black
Black socks and black shoes at last school assembly.


30: Done
I was inspired by friends at home posting photos of their Christmas trees to get a bit festive. One small tree and all the decorating is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment