Sunday, March 31, 2013

March Photo-A-Day

I am excited to share the photos I have taken as part of the March FMS Photo-A-Day project. This time I have included the list of daily prompts so you can see what the topic for each day was. Whenever possible I upload my photo each day to the Facebook group which has 6000 members and growing rapidly. Anyone is welcome to join at anytime - it is a lovely way to add a bit of creativity to each day.



What has been amazing and so wonderful is that in posting my photos each day I have started to get to know some of the other amateur photographers, and in particular some people have taken an interest in the images I have that show our fairly unique life here in Bhutan. The photos give me a great opportunity to put Bhutan on the map and some followers have mentioned they are developing a real interest to visit after seeing the photos.

The most positive thing to come of all of this is that quite a few members have decided to send parcels of books and other items over to me at the school to enhance the learning opportunities for students. It all began when I posted  the photo for 'Something beginning with L' - Library - and some wondered if there was a way they could send books for the library. In a month that has swelled to the point where a large number of photo-a-day members are planning to send parcels on April the 5th - which just happens to be the day where our photo prompt is 'Something good' - definitely a photo opportunity there!

Enjoy - and again - let me know which is your favourite!

March 1st: L is for - Library
The beautiful primary school library developed by last year's volunteer teacher.

March 2nd - I made this!
I call it a kitchen miracle when I make something like a pizza with local ingredients and my limited kitchenware and appliances.

 March 3rd - Key
Its not so much the key, but the rustic door and latch of my classroom that is so lovely.



March 4th - Lucky
In the middle of winter here in Bhutan, we were lucky to find bananas in the shop today as a treat for lunch.

March 5th - Under
Standing under a pine tree next to our house.

March 6th - Chair
The chair at my desk in the classroom has definitely seen better days!

March 7th - Fear
I fear these large trucks that teeter around the corners on Bhutanese mountain roads. But I also love the way they are all uniquely decorated.

March 8th - Favourite
Nothing like starting the day with a cup of Earl Grey.

 March 9th - Face-less self portrait
Walking down the street in the late afternoon I noticed my lovely long-legged shadow!



March 10th - I want
I want a hot shower!!! Amazingly enough an opportunity came from nowhere on this day to go to a nearby resort for dinner. When they realised we hadn't had any water for days they let us have a hot shower before dinner!

March 11th - Important
After three days without running water it became very clear how important this 'luxury' is.

March 12th - In the distance
Far away on top of the distant hill is a little temple (which we eventually walked to on
International Happiness Day - see March 20th).

March 13th - Sound
Xavier is spinning the prayer wheel at school which makes a bell sound for every rotation.


 March 14th - Tasty
A lovely treat for dessert- papaya and pomegranate.

March 15th - Explore
As teacher on duty I had to be present at school from 6.30am til 6 pm. I got to explore the kitchen and dining area where the boarders eat.

March 16th - 9 0'Clock
At 9am on Saturday morning I was teaching 'Rainbow Facts' in maths.

March 17th - Green
The view out our kitchen window is of an evergreen pine forest.

March 18th - Shoes
Due to overnight snow, I wore my trekking boots with my kira to school - perfect for slushy puddles even if they make a strange combination!

March 19th - Sign
The sign out the front of school asks all visitors to wear Bhutanese national dress.

March 20th - Clean
We had a public holiday for International Happiness Day and went for a walk to the little temple of the hill. The air was clean and scented with fresh pine.

March 21st - Work
The students do SUPW - Socially Useful Productive Work everyday - here they are planting a large crop of potatoes and other vegetables

March 22nd - I am
I am vegetarian!

March 23rd - What you do for fun
I made a batch of 24 Honey Joys and they were gobbled up in 15 minutes flat!!!

March 24th - Up
We went up and over the Kiki-La pass at 2980m - the view of the himalayas reminded us we are really up on top of the world.

March 25th - In your drawer
Without a single drawer in the house, I instead photographed the tray of our bukhari wood heater.

 March 26th - Something I did
Here I am teaching (wearing a kira) in my classroom.

March 27th - Pair
A pair of chairs outside the general shop.

March 28th - Mirror
This truck stopped as we were walking to school - I quickly snapped a picture of the rear-vision mirror as the driver made a delivery.

March 29th - Goodnight
Goodnight to my two little boys!


March 30th - Relax
Relaxing with the Bhutanese ladies began with tea and snacks and moved swifly onto beer and x-rated conversation in Dzongkha!!!!

March 31st - Stuff
I sent stuff from Australia and bought stuff in Thimphu 2 months ago so I could make these hot cross buns today: vanilla, icing sugar, sultanas, yeast, measuring spoons and cups.


And onwards to April!

2 comments:

  1. Love the photos and the memories they bring back Andrea We are still battling with Internet connections ourselves but today in a cafe in Arusha I could finally post and see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I am just hungry, but my favourite pictures were from March Second (YUM!), 4th (the bananas were so tiny!), 5th (beautiful tree!), 8th (tea = love), 14th (looks so amazingly yummy), and 22nd (very cute cow!).

    I love your photo months! My favourite to read.

    ReplyDelete